Monday, January 17, 2011

A Capital Weekend

Maggie and I had the fortunate pleasure of taking cousin Denise up on her offer to come visit her lovely home in Alexandria, VA, for the MLK weekend this year.  Denise, the consummate hostess with the mostess, showed us the most lovely girls weekend!  We spent Saturday lazily exploring Old Town Alexandria, full of fabulous shops and wonderful eateries (yummy French crepes for lunch).  I am now the proud owner of a Himalayan Salt Block from the Spice and Tea Exchange (thanks Denise :) that I'm going to take for a test drive at our Hoighty Toighty Supper Club this weekend, searing wild sea scallops right on the block for our friends *crossing fingers*.
The day was completed with a delicious meal in another Old Town destination, where we were joined by Denise's wonderful beau Tom (and now someone other than Denise may also have a crush, not saying whom, but her first initial is M).  Denise and I stayed up talking to nearly 2 AM like slumber party girls and then we all slept in for another lazy Sunday morning.  Did I mention how much fun we had yet?  After we finally roused and dressed, Denise took us to her favorite Greek/Med tapas restaurant, Zaytinya, in D.C. for lunch, where Maggie was equally enamored with the snails (oh yes, that is her finishing off that selection below) and the cool ladies' room.  


After lunch, Denise thankfully dragged us over to the National Portrait Gallery museum just across the street for one of the most delightful museum visits we've had in D.C.  The Hall of Presidents was so interesting - we had the most fun deciding what current day people the old Prezs favor.  And making fun of the cartoonish, gargantuan Clinton portrait currently on display (let's just say, not very presidential, but then again...if the shoe fits?).  The museum gift shop, as usual, was my favorite stop and we're now the proud owners of a laminated place mat of the Presidents - never too early to get Nate in on the fun.
After the museum, we drove by Denise's downtown DC law firm office and went into Georgetown for more shopping (did I mention how fun this trip was?).  Maggie got to visit her favorite store, H&M, where she found a fabulous short red wool (?) jacket and I got to visit the mecca of foodies, Dean and Deluca.  Maggie took our pic while we enjoyed a latte and afternoon snack at D&D's coffee shop, then I took Maggie's picture out front after we completed our shopping as she tried to get into our fresh bread. 


2 comments:

JC said...

Glad you liked Zatinya. We ate there on the trip over Thanksgivng last year. Very cool place. I think a former Top Chef contestant was from there.

QDB said...

That explains the fabulous food :) We definitely enjoyed it - those snails were truly the best I've ever had!