This is what's on my mind, so bear with me. I haven't been the nicest person to deal with lately (my family may ask, "So what's new about that?") because I've been feeling very conflicted. Teaching part-time at UAH this semester is not as easy as I thought it would be, given I'm teaching the same class I taught in 2006. I FINALLY figured out that even though I have my notes in hand for practically every lecture, I lack the same brain configuration. I've grown and birthed an entirely new human and that should not be taken lightly, it seems, particularly at my advanced age. I say that a little tongue-in-cheek, but it's not entirely without merit. I'm 9 years older than the first time around, that 9 year old girl (who is in the early stages of pre-teen angst) has a very busy school/activity/social schedule, Joel is travelling more than he used to, and pretty much - I'm just tired with a lot more gray hair. I am worthless after 8 PM, which used to be my most productive time. And that baby, bless him, just refuses to nap when I'd most prefer him to do so. So, that's the meltdown part.
Epiphany? I had one on the way in to class this morning, autopilot driving on I-565 - I need to go back to work full time. While that may sound counter-intuitive to all the above complaints, any mom who's been in both worlds can tell you that working outside the home is far easier than working inside the home. Trying to work at each part-time has left me feeling like I'm only half-heartedly giving my best to either, while running some crazy marathon. Plus I tried to envision myself in 10 years when I'll need to be working for sure - that's Maggie's College Tuition Plan. So there. Now I just need to find a job. Anyone know of any $100k plus engineer jobs with a 32 hour week (let's not go crazy here!), flex-time for sick kids and field trips, and days off when I feel like travelling with my husband?
The obligatory picture that must accompany all posts below.

Maggie and 'grampa' Nate on a cold Easter Sunday.
3 comments:
They are just too cute! Good luck with the job hunt. I think it's always the case of "the grass is greener on the other side", since I often wish I did not work and could stay home. But, if I did that, then I'd probably wish I also had a job, so who knows. I wish I could work about 3 days a week (for the same pay!), since that would satisfy both mama needs and career person needs :).
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment