Friday, April 11, 2008

From Crud to Conquest

Ever have some weeks that just seem like they go from bad to worse? Ugh. That's how this one was looking until today.
I truly try not to be a pessimistic, complaining sort of person and lately that seems like all I've been. Which, of course, makes me feel even worse. My previously happy-go-lucky but now angst-filled 9 year old has been having some problems with other mean girls in our neighborhood. The baby doesn't nap when he's "supposed" to and Joel just tries to stay out of the way when I get on a tear, bless his heart. My 3-year old, very nice desktop computer just died, it appears that the printer/scanner/copier has now followed suit, our newer car's been in the shop for another week (3rd time in 6 months) and they just "don't know what to do" about the coolant leak - I could really keep going, but I'm even tired of hearing myself whine now. So enough! I sat down and did some good praying - and by good, I don't mean I was particularly eloquent, but good as in get-down-on-your-knees-and-hand-it-all-over kind of praying. Suddenly, there was a plan and a sense of relief.
I got online and researched some books on parenting/mean girl psychological bullying and found some good stuff. I went to the library this morning and checked out Odd Girl Out, which appears to have some promise. Score 1 for the good guys. Joel's birthday is soon, so I spent the rest of the morning getting his birthday gift and finding the ingredients for the chocolate cheesecake I'm going to make to celebrate it with our friends at supper club this weekend. Here's the conquest part - the recipe calls for "custard powder" which is apparently as common in the typical British pantry as peanut butter in ours, but was nowhere to be found in the grocery stores here. I tried everywhere - Williams Sonoma, the Fresh Market, our local cake supply store - and nobody had it and most had never heard of it. Once I googled it and found out it was a British staple, it finally hit me to try the Indian grocery store here. (We have a British friend who cooks and eats as much Indian food as anything else, so I was hoping it was a two-way street). Success! They even had two different kinds of custard powder stocked full on their shelves! HA!! In one short morning, I went from crud to conqueror, but believe me, I know who to be thanking for that. Funny how things ALWAYS seem to go better when I'm not trying to do it all on my own.

I'll try to post again later and let you know how the cheesecake turns out. I have high hopes :)

3 comments:

JC said...

Great post; imho, your best yet.


And, life is just gonna get better when you add the DVR. Here, I've even found the 411 for ya =)

http://www.knology.com/residential/cable/dvr.cfm

Meagh and I talked last nite, and we collectively feel so strong about this that we'll be willing to sponsor the first 90 days. Just tell us who to make the check out to!

Brandie said...

yummmm....wish I could have a piece of cheesecake! Yeah, those crud weeks seem quite common in this household as well. I think maybe it has something to do with too many irons in the fire, not enough time in the day, and as always, my overall tendancy to "snowball" situations.

Yes, you must get a DVR. We couldn't make it without one. I honestly don't know the last time I watched a TV show in real time, it's too boring now. In fact, even when we have free time to watch TV, we still DVR the show, just to speed through commercials :). It also gives us some "date-time" on the weekend evenings catching up on the previous weeks' shows. Quite sad, I know. But, time is precious these days!

erin said...

No need to post again about the cheesecake, I'm here to proclaim that it was HEAVENLY! All that praying must have done some good. So sorry to hear about the crummy stuff early this week. Come over next time and I'll make some tea so we can cry and whine into it together!