Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hello? Is this thing on?

It's been forever since I've posted, and I guess it's a combination of the new job (can't believe it's been a month already), two kids (yep - exponentially harder to juggle than just 1), and summer travels that's left me pooped at night and barely able to keep up with the dishes and laundry (note to self - need to sub this out??). I'll try to catch up with a quick update and then make false promises about doing better in the future...

So - my first week of work was June 9 and Maggie had her first week at camp. She loved it and wanted to stay another week when we picked her up. It was such a flashback to my childhood church trips when I saw her tan little self walking up to us in her second-hand Abercrombie t-shirt, gym shorts, flip flops and stringy hair (was clean but probably hadn't been thoroughly brushed all week) with FRIENDSHIP anklet, bracelet and necklace adornments. Anyone else remember those? The colorful braided cross-stich floss jewelry that we all used to make and give each other. It was nice to see that some things haven't changed...

My second week of work Maggie hung out with our friend Megan from church and had a great time. Megan brought along her 8 month old and Maggie enjoyed playing with him. Nate was intrigued to see this other baby in his house. Nate has been going to his church daycare all along since the week before I started work and he is really doing well.

We met Joel's parents in Birmingham at his Uncle Thomas and Aunt Barbara's house the 3rd weekend of June. We were treated to a wonderful, home-cooked meal where Nate made a glorious mess in their beautiful, antique-filled, ivory linen clad dining room with his favorite dish - the cherry congealed salad. I probably owe them a new tablecloth but they are far too gracious so I'm sure I'll never hear whether the stains came out or not. (Note to self: add this to my Christmas shopping list) The grandparents then took Maggie home with them for a few days, until we came over mid-week to meet up and headed to the...

33rd Annual (or was it 34th?) Goldman Family Reunion at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park in Pelahatchie, MS. It was a really nice park with lots of fun stuff for everyone - Joel and I even did some paddleboating, soundly whipping both of my brothers with their significant others, thank you very much. We think our victory has to do with our more even weight distribution and significant momentum advantage once we got going :) Here's a picture of the big family, with only about 3 folks missing from this year's group:














We had a great time as always. Maggie went home with my parents from the reunion since Mom would be coming over to our house that next Wednesday for our next trip. We got up early that Sunday morning (June 29, if you're keeping score) and got home so I could get up to our church to furnish/decorate the elementary kids craft room for our church's Vacation Bible School that was to start July 7. This ended up being a two day task, but with Joel and Nate's help (?), I got it done on Monday night. Tuesday I washed clothes, because Mom and Maggie were due here on Wednesday and we then spent that evening eating Maggie's 10th birthday cake and then packing for...

NEW YORK CITY!! So much fun - Mimi and Pop gave Maggie a trip to New York City for her 10th birthday and I, of course, went along to chaperone. It was just the girls - Mimi, me and Maggie - we left at 6 AM Thursday morning (7/3) and returned at 8 PM Sunday night (7/6). It was a blast! We are still exhausted, but it was all worth it. We saw 2 Broadway shows, took an open top, double-decker bus tour, shopped in Chinatown as well as 5th Avenue and the MoMA Design Store (my fave!), had high tea at The Plaza, and much more. I'll have to do a separate post for all that once I get the pictures sorted, but for now I've posted a picture of Maggie and her doll Kit at the American Girl Place Cafe (note Kit's booster seat and tea cup and the girls matching dresses) where everyone in the restaurant sang her Happy Birthday (one of three different locations where she was serenaded during this trip, lucky girl)! We all loved the American Girl experience, including their theater show, and I highly recommend it to anyone with a girl this age. Joel and Nate held down the fort at home and surprised us Sunday evening by being at the airport when we returned - a really nice end to our trip!















So - that brings us pretty much up to date. This week is VBS and Maggie is attending with some friends and then comes home to a favorite teenage sitter to hang out until I get home from work. Nate started in his new BIG BOY class at daycare this week where he is no longer napping in a crib, but on a low cot with his little "kidnapper" (a lovely, $24.50 invention that combines a quilted pad, pillow and lightweight blanket all in one easily washed and quickly dried, convenient package - ah, what will they think of next?). Next week, our favorite niece Cate is coming to stay and play with Maggie, then Joel and I will head out the following week for our 15th anniversary trip to Prince Edward Island and Halifax, Nova Scotia (the kids will be staying with grandparents/aunts/uncles/random people on the street that looked reputable, etc. JK). Only another week or so after that and then school starts back. WHEW. Time just keeps going by faster and faster the older we get, it seems. So - I'll try to do better with keeping this updated at least once a month. I think that's a promise I should be able to keep.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Hi Christi!

Glad your family is doing well and having a great (busy) summer! The girls' trip to New York sounded so special! Brought back really fun memories of a nyc trip I took with my mom, sister and godmother when I was ten. Hope to see you soon!